Dr David Bonilla is a Senior Research Fellow at the Transport Studies Unit in the School of Geography and Environment at the University of Oxford. He did his first degree in economics at London Guildhall University, London, UK; his MSc in Economics at Queen Mary College, University of London, supervised by Prof. V. Bulmer-Thomas; and his PhD on 'Japan's energy policy' at the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology. Prior to his doctorate he was an energy economist, focusing on the transport sector, at the Japanese Institute of Energy Economics located in Tokyo. He has held research fellowships at the Venture Business Laboratory at Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology; the Faculty of Economics, Cambridge University; and the Department of Land Economy at the Climate Change Mitigation Research Center (4CMR).
David is interested in the interaction of several disciplines: economics, engineering and political issues affecting energy and environment. He is particularly interested in econometric applications, forecasting and scenario analysis of energy technologies in vehicle and freight markets, as well as on energy policy assessment and design. David is also a reviewer of several well known energy related journals and has been a contributor for the UN's World Energy Assessment. David has been involved in the Oxford Scenarios Program as a reviewer and participant.
He is currently working on two projects for the European Commission and the Oxford Martin School:
- Project Leader: 'FreightVision' and 'Logman' research projects, both EU funded. He is working on scenario development for freight transport policy to the next 50 years and on EU freight transport and on related policy analysis, done in close collaboration with other European colleagues based at Austrian Research Centres in Vienna, Austria.
- Co-investigator: 'Carbon and Energy Reduction in Transport' research project at the James Martin Institute for Carbon and Energy Reduction in Transport. Funded by the Oxford Martin School, Oxford. His duties include projections of new car fuel economy trends and understanding technological change of the car fleet.
David's current research includes: the adoption of bio-fuels in UK transport; market analyses of new car fuel economy models (Japan, UK); demand for freight transport; gasoline demand forecasting (Japan/ UK); demand for alternative fuels/vehicles; and modelling technological change affecting energy supply and demand.
His research interests include: energy policy for transport (energy demand models); demand for alternative fuel vehicles; distributed generation and low CO2 technologies; Asia/Pacific energy issues; EU energy policy; and global climate change policy.
David is currently developing a transport and energy research program focusing on China together with Prof. David Banister, Director of the TSU, and Dr J. Zhao, of the Environmental Change Institute (ECI).
In the past he was a researcher at Oxford on the TSEC-Biosys project, which aims to conduct innovative multi- and inter-disciplinary research from a whole systems perspective. TSEC-Biosys provides authoritative and independent answers on technical, economic, environmental and social issues related to the development of bioenergy in the UK. David works on the freight transport implications of large scale deployment of biofuels / bio-energy and of bioenergy supply chains and related policy analysis.
David is involved in undergraduate teaching / tutorials for the Transport option every year for the BA in Geography in Oxford. He normally teaches energy policy for transport and GHG mitigation options in transport including freight transport. He also supervises undergraduate, MSc and D.Phil. students in the field of energy and transport.
- Bonilla, D., Schmitz, K. and Akisawa, A. (2012) Demand for mini cars and large cars; decay effects and gasoline demand in Japan. Energy Policy, 50: 217-227.
- Bishop, J.D.K., Axon, C.J., Tran, M., Banister, D., Bonilla, D. and McCulloch, M.D. (2012) Identifying the fuels and energy conversion technologies necessary to meet European passenger car emissions legislation to 2020. Fuel, 99: 88-105.
- Banister, D., Anderton, K., Bonilla, D., Givoni M. and Schwanen T. (2011) Transportation and the environment. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 36.
- Bishop J.D.K., Axon, C.J., Banister, D., Bonilla, D., Tran, M. and McCulloch, M.D. (2011) Using non-parametric statistics to identify the best pathway for supplying hydrogen as a road transport fuel. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36: 9382-9395.
- Agnolucci, P. and Bonilla, D. (2009) UK freight demand: elasticities and decoupling. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 43(3): 317–344.
- Bonilla, D. (2009) Fuel demand on UK roads and dieselisation of fuel economy. Energy Policy, 37(10): 3769-3778.
- Bonilla, D. and Foxon, T. (2009) Demand for new car fuel economy in the UK, 1970-2005. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 43(1): 55-83.
- Bonilla, D. (2007) Fuel price changes and the adoption of cogeneration in the UK and the Netherlands. The Electricity Journal, 20(7): 59-71.
- Bonilla, D., Akisawa, A., and Kashiwagi T. (2003) Modelling the adoption of industrial cogeneration in Japan using manufacturing plant survey data. Energy Policy, 31(9): 895-910.
- Bonilla, D., Baran Saha, B., Akisawa, A., and Kashiwagi T. (2002) Technological breakthrough to prevent global warming: the Japanese paradox. The World Resource Review, 14(1): 54-68.
- Bonilla, D., Akisawa, A., and Kashiwagi T. (2002) The adoption of cogeneration in the Japanese manufacturing sector: technological, economic and institutional determinants. International Journal of Energy Technology and Policy, 1(1-2): 121-196.
- Bonilla, D. and Foxon, T. (2007) Estimating the demand for new car fuel economy in the UK 1970-2004 using a two-stage error correction model. Environmental Economy and Policy Research. Discussion Paper Series, Department of Land economy. University of Cambridge.
- Bonilla, D., and Akisawa, A. (2007) Gasoline demand and new car fuel economy in Japan.
- Bonilla, D. (2006) Energy prices, production and the adoption of cogeneration in the UK and the Netherlands. Electricity Policy Research Group, Working Paper series (2006). Faculty of Economics, Cambridge University.
- Bonilla, D. and Akyelken, N. (2011) Vision. Chapter 7, in Helmreich, S. and H. Keller (eds.) FREIGHTVISION - Sustainable European Freight Transport 2050: Forecast, Vision and Policy Recommendation. Springer, pp. 127-134. ISBN 978-3-642-13370-1.
- Bonilla, D. (2009) Options for decarbonising and improving energy efficiency in the transport sector. Chapter 12 in, Energy Efficiency Policy and Developments in South East Asia and Beyond. Energy Studies Institute (National University of Singapore). Stallion Press, Singapore.
- Bonilla, D. (contributor) (2000) Energy-end-use efficiency. Chapter 6 in, World Energy Assessment: energy and the challenge of sustainability. World Energy Council, United Nations Development Programme, UN Department of Economics and Social affairs, New York.
- Kashiwagi, T., Saha, B.B., Bonilla, D., and Akisawa, A. (1999) Technological and economic potential of greenhouse gas emissions reduction. Chapter 3 in, Climate Change 2001, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change mitigation (IPCC). Contribution of Working Group III to the third Assessment of the IPCC. Cambridge, United Kingdom, Cambridge University Press. pp. 219-220.
- Bonilla, D. (contributor) (1998) APERC. In, APEC Asia Pacific Energy Demand and Supply Outlook. Institute of Energy Economics, APERC, Tokyo, Japan.
Conference Papers at National / International Events
- Bonilla, D. (2009) Scenarios for the Japanese car market and gasoline demand to 2020: what can UK transport learn from Japan. Paper given at the workshop "Long term scenarios in transport and energy: in Search of new methodologies 29 May 2009, St Anne's College, Oxford in conjunction with the James Martin Institute of Carbon and Energy Reduction in Transport.
- Bonilla, D. and K. Salling (2008) Energy consumption and freight transport demand in Denmark. NECTAR (Network on European Communications and Transport Activities Research) cluster conference over the 12th and 13th September, 'Integrated Transport: from policy to practice'. School of Geography and Environment, Oxford University.
- Bonilla, D. (2008) Demand for new car fuel economy and sustainable transport. Seminar "Transportation land use and sustainable development" hosted in collaboration with the Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment and the Californian Institute for Technology Exchange (together with the American Association of State Highways and Transportation Officials and the Federal Highways Administration).
- Bonilla, D. (2008) Energy use in urban regions. '2008 City Design Roundtable: Secure Energy for Mega-cities' conference, the Institution for Civil Engineers, London; the event was organised by Montreux Energy.
- Bonilla, D. (2008) Driving for less and new car fuel economy in the UK, US, Japan: 1970-2005. Erasmus University's NECTAR conference. Workshop transition towards sustainable mobility: The role of instruments, individuals and institutions. 15-16th of May, 2008. Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Bonilla, D. (2008) Vehicle sales and fuel economy: evidence from Japan. Universities' Transport Studies Group, 40th Annual Conference, 3-5th January. Southampton, UK.
- Bonilla, D. (2008) Challenges in the transportation sector. Paper presented at "The Energy Transition: The Global Challenge" conference. Centre Économie et Gestion, École du Pétrole et des Moteurs, Institute Francaise du Petrole, Paris, France.
- Bonilla, D. and Foxon, T. (2007) New car fuel economy of gasoline and diesel in the UK, 1977-2003. Paper presented at the International association of energy economics conference on "Energy markets and sustainability in a larger Europe". Florence, Italy.
- Bonilla, D. (2006) The demand for gasoline of passenger vehicles in Japan to 2010: a vehicle stock and vehicle efficiency approach. Paper presented at the Int. Association of Energy Economics Conference on "Securing Energy in Insecure Times". June Berlin, Germany.
- Bonilla, D. (participant) (2005) "Post 2012 climate policy: architectures and participation scenarios". Venice, Italy. Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, 20-21 June, 2005. In cooperation with Stanford University and Resources for the Future.
- Bonilla, D. (2005) Modelling the adoption of cogeneration and manufacturing industry characteristics: the case of the UK and Netherlands. (May). Paper presented at the Judge Business School, Cambridge University.
- Bonilla, D., Akisawa, A., Kashiwagi T. (2004) The rise and fall in cogeneration, electricity price and income in the Japanese and EU manufacturing sectors: an econometric assessment. Presented to the conference Modelling in Energy and policy. 6th International European Conference, Zurich, Switzerland, September.
- Bonilla, D., Akisawa, A., Kashiwagi T. (2002) A survey on the performance of, and plant manager satisfaction with, cogeneration plants in the Japanese manufacturing sector. Paper presented to International symposium on distributed generation power systems market aspects, Royal Institute of Technology, Department of electrical engineering, Stockholm Sweden, October 2-4.
- Bonilla, D. (2002) la Moderna cogeneracion en Japon. Instituto de Investigaciones Economicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. Mexico City. Seminar organised by the research group of Petroleum and Energy.
- Bonilla, D., Akisawa, A., Kashiwagi T. (2001) The penetration of small-scale cogeneration systems in Japanese industry: 1985-1998. Paper presented to the Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in industry, Summer Study for an Energy Efficient Economy in Industry, American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy, Tarrytown New York, 24th-27th, July.
- Bonilla, D., Baran Saha, B., Akisawa, A., Kashiwagi, T. (2001) Technological breakthrough to prevent global warming: the Japanese paradox. Paper presented to the 12th Global Warming Conference, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Bonilla, D. (Discussant, Reviewer and Rapporteur) Society, behaviour and climate change mitigation. In, Jochem, E., Sathaye, J., Bouille, D. (Eds.) (2000) Advances in Global Change Research, Vol. 8. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Bonilla, D. (1997) Mexico's energy situation. Paper given at the Institute of Energy Economics, Asia Pacific Energy Research Center. Tokyo.
Work in Progress
- Bonilla, D. Options for the adoption of biofuels in UK road transport.
- Bonilla, D. and Akisawa, A. The demand for gasoline of passenger vehicles in Japan in 1980-2010: a vehicle stock and vehicle utilisation model approach.
- Bonilla, D. Vehicle fuel efficiency standards and gasoline demand in Japan, the EU and US.
- Bonilla, D. Examining demand for fuel efficiency of new cars in the UK.
- Bonilla, D. and Sallinger K. Fuel consumption and freight transport in Denmark.