Applications are open to all but this year preference will be given to a candidate who self-identifies as female. Women are under-represented in this area of research and the TSU is strongly committed to equality and diversity. This studentship will cover three years of University tuition fees along with a maintenance allowance (at UKRI rates). The scholarship will also provide a research allowance, a UK visa (tier 4), and one economy return flight from the country of origin to the UK.
The TSU encourage candidates with a background in Geography or a related social science discipline to submit an application if they want to pursue a DPhil/PhD on a topic that is closely linked to the four main research themes of the TSU:
- Energy, Climate and Environment
- Everyday Life and Justice
- Health and Wellbeing
- Politics, Power and Governance.
Candidates with an interest in questions of gender and urban mobility or climate change adaptation in urban transport are particularly encouraged to apply.
Suitably qualified candidates wishing to apply for this scholarship should submit to following to Mrs Ruth Saxton, Research Degrees Coordinator at the School of Geography and the Environment, OUCE, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QY or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 December 2019:
- A cover letter outlining the motivation for their application
- A research proposal of max. 3,000 words, outlining their topic, research objectives, methodology, and contribution to the academic literature
- A full CV, to include information on the GPA score for a MSc or equivalent degree
- A sample of written work (e.g. a chapter from a Master’s dissertation)
- The names of 3 referees who will be contacted if the candidate is shortlisted.
Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application by 10 January and interviews will be held for shortlisted candidates in early February 2020 (date to be confirmed). Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and financial need. The information provided in the application form will be used to assess how a candidate meets these criteria.
Please note: the successful applicant will also be asked to submit a full Oxford University Application to reach us by the deadline of 3 March 2020. Further information on making the Oxford University Application is available on the University website here.