- Honorary Research Associate
- Email: email@example.com
Madan joined TSU as an honorary research associate in October 2019. His research interests are sustainable transport and urban mobility. His research work focuses on accessibility, sustainability assessment, climate change impacts and resiliency and urban governance.
Madan is a Civil Engineer with an MSc from Loughborough University, UK, an MBA from the USA and has done his doctorate at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan in international development engineering focusing on climate change and transport. Madan works at the Transport Division of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for the Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP). At the UN, he closely works with national and city governments, transport policy makers and planners to advocate and implement sustainable transport policies and projects. He leads collaboration and research projects in the areas of sustainable transport, urban mobility, regional connectivity, road safety, and intermodal transport.
Madan is interested in exploring planning and policy options to improve overall sustainability of transport systems and services. Currently, he is seeking to answer why leaders in developing Asia are still finding it difficult to plan and implement sustainable mobility solutions - given the wealth of research and knowledge? In order to encourage Asian leaders to make informed and rational decisions, he focuses on following research themes:
- Sustainability assessment: Madan is interested in studying practical tools and frameworks to measure sustainability (ideally through indicators) of transport systems and services that would incorporate environmental, social and economic dimensions. Standardized framework and approach for assessment and data collection could enable city leaders to benchmark their transport system and periodically monitor progress towards sustainable mobility.
- Climate change impacts and resiliency: Transport and urban transport systems in Asia cities including those located in coastal areas are vulnerable to impacts of climate change and natural disasters. Given the more focus on mitigation strategies, he like to learn more on how could we make transport system more resilient? Is there a need to give more emphasis on adaptation measure? He also likes to explore doable policies for reducing energy consumption and emissions from the transport sector.
- Urban governance: Madan is interested in exploring effectiveness of different governance models on overall planning. implementation, monitoring, management and operation of transport systems. Are there some successful cases in Europe where city leaderships have transformed cities? Can we draw some learning for Asian cities?
- Gudmundsson, H. and Regmi, M.B. (2017) Developing Sustainable Urban Transport Index, Transport and Communications Bulletin for Asia and the Pacific. Transport and Sustainable Development Goals, 87: 35-53, UNESCAP.
- Mijares, A.C., Regmi, M.B. and Yai, T. (2014) Enhancing the sustainability and inclusiveness of Metro Manila's urban transportation systems: Proposed fare and policy reforms. Transport and Communications Bulletin for Asia and the Pacific, Transport Services, 84: 28-40, UNESCAP, 2014
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2013) Location analysis of logistics centres in Laos. International Journal of Logistics, 16(3): 227-242.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2015) Assessment of Modal Shift and Emissions along a Freight Transport Corridor between Laos and Thailand. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 9(3): 192-202.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2012) Assessment of intermodal transport corridors: Cases from North-East and Central Asia. Research in Transportation Business and Management, 5: 27–37.
- Hanaoka, S. and Regmi, M.B. (2011) Promoting intermodal freight transport through the development of dry ports in Asia: An environmental perspective. IATSS Research 35 (1): 16-23.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2011) A survey on impacts of climate change on road transport infrastructure and adaptation strategies in Asia. Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, 13(1): 21-41.
Books and Book Chapters
- Regmi, M.B. (2017) Urban Transport. Chapter 4 in Review of Developments in Transport in Asia and the Pacific. ESCP. pp. 116-134.
- Regmi, M.B. (2017) Rural Transport. Chapter 5 in Review of Developments in Transport in Asia and the Pacific, ESCAP. pp. 136-1523.
- Regmi, M.B. Monograph Series on Sustainable and Inclusive Transport: Assessment of Urban Transport Systems, UNESCAP, Bangkok. eISBN 978-92-1-362888-1.
- Regmi, M.B. (2016) Development of Regional Transport Networks in Asia. In, De, P. and Rahaman, M. (eds.) Regional Integration in South Asia: Essays in Honour of Dr. M. Rahmatullah. KW Publishers, New Delhi. pp. 35-49.
- Regmi, M.B. (2015) Urban Transport. In, Review of Developments in Transport in Asia and the Pacific, ESCAP, pp. 90-101.
- Regmi, M.B. (2013) Promoting Sustainable Transport for Inclusive Development. Contributing author, Chapter 4 in Review of Developments in Transport in Asia and the Pacific (e-ISBN: 978-92-1-054206-7), ESCAP, Bangkok.
- Regmi, M.B. (2013) Protecting Critical Sectors-Critical Infrastructure. Lead contributing author of Chapter 5 in Building Resilience to Natural Disasters and Major Economic Crises. UNESCAP Theme Study. pp. 118-143
- Regmi, M.B. (2012) Climate Change and Transport: Assessment of climate change impacts, freight modal shift and emissions. Lap-Lambert Publishing, Germany. ISBN: 978-3-659-11592-9.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2012) International road transport in GMS. Chapter 2 in, Kusakabe, K. (ed.) Gender, Roads and Mobility in Asia, Practical Action Publishing. pp.19-24.
Conference Proceedings and Background Papers
- Regmi, M.B. Sustainable Urban Transport Index for Asian Cities, 11th Environmentally Sustainable Transport Forum in Asia, 2-5 October 2018, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Regmi, M.B. and Chokesomritpol, P. Policy Options for Deployment of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles in Asia, 11th Environmentally Sustainable Transport Forum in Asia, 2-5 October 2018, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Avery, L.J. Regmi, M.B., Joshi, G.R. and Mohanty, C.R.C. Rural-Urban Connectivity in Achieving Sustainable Regional Development, Tenth Regional EST Forum in Asia, Vientiane, 14-16 March 2017.
- Engel, S., Regmi, M.B. and O'Neill, P. Achieving Poverty Eradication through Improved, Inclusive and Equitable Transport Systems, Tenth Regional EST Forum in Asia, Vientiane, 14-16 March 2017.
- Engel, S., Regmi, M.B. and O'Neill, P. Policy Framework to Improve Rural Transport Connectivity to Wider Local, National and Regional Transport Networks, Tenth Regional EST Forum in Asia, Vientiane, 14-16 March 2017.
- Regmi, M.B. and Lu, T. Building Resilient Societies: Towards a Safe, Climate Adaptive and Disaster Resilient Transport System for Asia, 9th Environmentally Sustainable Transport Forum, Colombo, 17-20 November 2015.
- O'Neill, Peter, Madan B. Regmi and Shan Wang (2014) Improved Accessibility to Essential Utilities – A Critical Need for Communities of Emerging Asia, Background policy paper presented to 8th Environmentally Sustainable Transport Forum, Colombo, 19-21 November 2014.
- Regmi, M.B. (2014) Moving towards sustainable transport systems in Asia, Proceedings TRB 93rd Annual Meeting, Washington DC, (January 12-16, 2014).
- Regmi, M.B. Regional Transport Connectivity for Sustainable Development, Background policy paper presented to 7th Environmentally Sustainable Transport Forum, Bali, 23-25 April 2013.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2012) Application of analytic hierarchy process for location analysis of logistics centers in Laos, Transportation Research Board (TRB), 91st Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2012) Sustainable Regional Intermodal Freight Transport: Lessons from Dry Ports Development in Asia, Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies 8, 2011, Jeju.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2010) A framework to evaluate carbon emissions from freight transport and policies to reduce CO2 emissions through mode shift in Asia, The 3rd International Conference on Transportation and Logistics (T-LOG 2010), Fukuoka.
- Regmi, M.B. and Hanaoka, S. (2009) Impacts of climate change on transport and adaptation in Asia, Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies 7, Surabaya.