- Research Associate and Programme Coordinator for Executive Education in the Transport Studies Unit
Ersilia is a researcher working on the Sustainable Cities and Resilient Transport project, and is also the Programme Coordinator of the Global Challenges in Transport series of short courses, part of the Oxford Leadership Programme. Until recently, she was a PhD student at the Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds (2012-2016), where she also taught on a number of undergraduate programmes and worked as a Research Assistant.
Ersilia researches resilience and resourcefulness in urban transport and individuals' everyday mobilities in the context of the 'Sustainable Cities and Resilient Transport' project. More broadly, her research interests are focused on how transport disadvantaged mobilise capabilities and resources to deal with the mobility crises, building resourcefulness. Ersilia recently completed her PhD thesis, entitled Planning for resourcefulness: exploring new frontiers for participatory transport planning theory and practice in Rio de Janeiro and L'Aquila. The thesis explored new frontiers for transport planning, critically approaching the idea of resourcefulness as property and a worldview that, with a specific focus on participatory practices, aimed to complement sustainability and resilience and tackling the current social and environmental crises. It has done so critically analysing the practices and vision of two grassroots actors working towards improving transport planning processes in the cities of Rio de Janeiro and L'Aquila.
Ersilia is Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and has been awarded with merit with the University of Leeds Teaching Award. She has experience of undergraduate and graduate teaching from Leeds University Business School and Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds.
- Verlinghieri, E. and Middleton, J. (forthcoming) Decolonising and provincializing knowledge within the neoliberal university? The challenge of teaching about sustainable transport. Journal of Transport Geography.
- Verlinghieri, E. and Schwanen, T. (2020) Transport and mobility justice: evolving discussions. Journal of Transport Geography, 87. 102798.
- Blanco, J., Lucas, K., Schafran, A., Verlinghieri, E. and Apaolaza, R. (2018) Contested mobilities in the Latin American context. Journal of Transport Geography.
- Khreis, H., Warsow, K.M., Verlinghieri, E., Guzman, A., Pellecuer, L., Ferreira, A., Jones, I., Heinen, E., Rojas-Rueda, D., Mueller, N. and Schepers, P. (2017) The Health Impacts of Traffic-Related Exposures in Urban Areas: Understanding real Effects, Underlying Driving Forces and Co-Producing Future Directions. Transport and Health, 3(3): 249-267.
- Nieuwenhuijsen, M., Khreis, H., Verlinghieri, E., Mueller, N. and Rojas-Rueda, D. (2017) Participatory quantitative health impact assessment of urban and transport planning in cities: A review and research needs. Environment International.
- Verlinghieri, E. and Venturini, F. (2017) Exploring the right to mobility through the 2013 mobilizations in Rio de Janeiro. Journal of Transport Geography.
- Lucas, K., Mattioli, G., Verlinghieri, E. and Guzman, A. (2016) Transport Poverty and its Adverse Social Consequences. . Proceedings of the ICE - Transport, 169(6): 353-365.
- Nieuwenhuijsen, M.J., Khreis, H., Verlinghieri, E. and Rojas-Rueda, D. (2016) Transport and Health: A Marriage of Convenience or an Absolute Necessity. Environment International, 88: 150-152.
- Venturini, F. and Verlinghieri, E. (2014) Scarcity, Post-Scarcity and Local Community: L'Aquila as a Case Study. Planum: The Journal of Urbanism, 2(29): 51-69.
- Verlinghieri, E. and Venturini, F. (2014) Disaster Recovery and the Need for Community Participation: the C.A.S.E. Project in L’Aquila as a Case Study. Multiple Geographical Perspectives on Hazards and Disasters: 95-104.
- Nieuwenhuijsen, M., Khreis, H., Verlinghieri, E., Mueller, N. and Rojas-Rueda, D. (forthcoming) The role of health impact assessment for shaping policies and making cities healthier. In, Nieuwenhuijsen, M. and Haneen, K. (eds.) Integrating Human Health into Urban and Transport Planning. Springer, Cham. pp. 609-624.
- Verlinghieri, E. (forthcoming) Participating in Health: The Healthy Outcomes of Citizen Participation in Urban and Transport Planning. In, Integrating Human Health into Urban and Transport Planning. Springer, Cham. pp. 535-562.
- Verlinghieri, E. (2015) Radical Approaches to Transport Planning. In, Social Ecology and Social Change. .
- Verlinghieri, E. (2017) Approaches to Demand Futures. Briefing Pape for the Commission on Travel Demand., Demand Centre.
- Lucas, K., Philips, I., Nellthorp, J., Reardon, L., Laird, J. and Verlinghieri, E. (2016) Social Assessment of Section 3 of the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road: Brynmawr to Tredegar. University of Leeds.